Obtaining visas

Foreign nationals generally require a work permit to reside and work in Japan. The Japanese visa system comes under two government ministries: the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (and Japanese government offices abroad, which are effectively MoFA branch offices) and the Ministry of Justice (and immigration offices, which are a part of the MoJ).